Healthy Dearborn Walk and Roll
Join us at 6:30 each Wednesday evening for a bike ride or walk with Dearborn friends and neighbors. The Walk and Roll starts at a new location each week. The schedule includes:
Aug 31 - City Hall Park roll at 7 (6mi)
Sep 7 - Columbia Park 6:30p (6mi)
Sep 14 - Canterbury Park 6:30p (6mi) This is gonna be a great one! You don't want to miss it!
Sep 21 - Ten Eyck Park 6:30p (6mi)
Sep 28 - Palmer-Jerome Park 6:30p (6mi)
Oct 5 - Oxford Park 6:30p (6mi)
Oct 12 - Bennington Park 6:30p (6mi)
Oct 19 - Levagood Park 6:30p (6mi)
Oct 26 - TBD 6:30p (6mi)
For more information visit THIS LINK
Who We Are
Healthy Dearborn is a robust coalition of more than 200 community residents, businesses, employees, elected and civic leaders. Our vision is a thriving, diverse community that fully embraces a unified culture of health where everyone enjoys whole health (mind, body, spirit), with equal access to healthy foods, health care, green space and opportunities for safe, active living. To realize our vision, our mission is to create valuable opportunities for people in Dearborn to practice healthy lifestyles by enriching their minds, nurturing their bodies and revitalizing their spirit.
What Drives Us
Healthy Dearborn was launched by Beaumont (then Oakwood) after a comprehensive 2013 Community Health Needs Assessment (CHNA) conducted in Wayne County identified four top health concerns:
- heart disease
- access to care
Wayne County is the unhealthiest county in Michigan. Two-thirds of premature deaths in the U.S. are due to poor nutrition, lack of physical activity and tobacco use. The good news is that overwhelming evidence shows that when communities work collaboratively to promote healthy eating and active living, everyone’s health improves.
Researchers have long recognized the connection between health and place – maintaining good health is easier when people are surrounded by healthy choices in their schools, workplaces and neighborhoods; yet building healthy surroundings for people is not an effort that can be led by one individual, organization or business alone. It is a collaborative effort that must involve the whole community.
We are joining forces to make change at multiple levels – environmental and policy changes, individual behavior changes, increased community engagement and community ownership – to bring about a Healthy Dearborn.
What We Do
Healthy Dearborn partners have formed five Action Teams:
- HEALTHY SCHOOLS – We will create learning in both in-school and out-of-school environments to support healthy eating and active living.
- HEALTHY WORKSITES – We will support employers and employees in living well at work with information, tools and resources. We want to increase their access to, and convenience of, making healthy choices at work.
- HEALTHY FOODS – We want to make sure everyone has access to healthy foods and information about healthy diets.
- HEALTHY AT PLAY – We will connect people to green spaces, parks and recreation venues to create safe, convenient places to be active.
- HEALTHY TRANSPORTATION – This team focuses on creating walkable and bikeable communities and neighborhoods.
Join Healthy Dearborn today! If you would like more information on this new initiative, call (313) 421-0762 to find out how you can get involved.