Posted Aug. 2, 2012
National Night Out on Crime is Aug. 7
The Dearborn Police Department
invites all residents to attend National Night Out on crime at the Dearborn Police Department located at 16099 Michigan Avenue on August 7, 2012 from 5:00 PM to 8:00 PM. This is a FREE event sponsored by Target Stores and the Dearborn Police Department.
This year marks the 29th year of this national event that is celebrated in nearly every city, town and village in the US. In addition to increasing awareness of crime prevention programs, National Night Out also strengthens neighborhood spirit and community-police partnerships, while sending a message to criminals that "neighborhoods are organized, working with police and are fighting back against crime!”
Chief Haddad stated, “Dearborn is a prime example of a community that works in partnership with its police department and the private sector. Together these partnerships have made real strides in crime prevention and quality of life issues.”
This year’s event will be held in Dearborn Police Department’s east parking lot, and will include:
- FREE hot dogs, drinks and ice cream
- A Bounce House for the children
- Free throw basketball contests with prizes
- Dearborn Fire Department Fire Truck
The Dearborn Police Department will have the following on display:
- Police Patrol vehicles (including the new Ford Taurus and Ford Explorer interceptors)
- Bomb Squad
- SWAT Team
- K9 Unit
- Armored Personnel Carrier
The Dearborn Police Department will also have crime prevention material, Neighborhood Watch information, take home Child Identification Kits and NIXLE information available at the event.
Additional law enforcement agencies will also be on site, including:
- Michigan Department of Natural Resources (including a pickup truck and zodiac static display)
- Detroit Police Special Response Team
- Michigan State Police Emergency Response Team (including the Emergency Response Vehicle)
- Wayne County Down River Dive Team (including Truck and Trailer Static Display)
- Wayne County Sheriff’s Department
- Oakwood Hospital Security
- Fairlane Town Center Police
- University Of Michigan Security
- University Of Michigan Life Flight
- Branches of the U.S. military will also be in attendance
- Ford Motor Company will have 2 new vehicles on display as well.
National Night Out, sponsored by the National Association of Town Watch, is a neighborhood crime and drug prevention event that occurs annually on the first Tuesday in August every year. Last year’s national campaign involved citizens, law enforcement agencies, civic groups, neighborhood organizations and local officials from over 15,000 communities from all 50 states. This year’s event in Dearborn is sponsored by Target stores located in Dearborn and Allen Park.
This event is in line with Department of Homeland Security Secretary Napolitano’s; “If you See Something, Say Something” campaign. Chief Haddad participated in the development of this campaign and he has implemented it throughout the City of Dearborn promoting community involvement in combating crime.
Chief Haddad commented, “It’s gratifying to partner with such a strong national retailer like Target who takes a vested interest in the communities where they are located and are willing to show their commitment to public safety in such a meaningful and constructive way.”
Chief Haddad is also requesting that in support of National Night Out, all Dearborn residents turn on their front porch lights on August 7, 2012 and make an extra effort to look out for your neighbors.