The Dearborn City Clerk's office handles all requests for birth certificates. Requests may be made in person, online, or by mail. The Dearborn Clerk's Office will only issue certificates for people born in Dearborn.
The cost is $20 for the first copy, and $5 for each additional copy.
State law mandates that birth certificates be released only to:
- Person named on certificate with State issued I.D.
- Mother or father with State issued I.D.
- Legal guardian with State issued I.D. plus guardianship papers.
- State or adoption agency with Agency issued I.D. and State issued I.D.
A birth certificate can be requested through a mail-in application. A letter with the following information is required:
- Person’s name at time of birth
- Mother’s name including maiden name
- Father’s name
- Return address
- Check or money order payable to City of Dearborn
- A mail application applies to person named on the record with a copy of State issued I.D., mother or father with a copy of State issued I.D. or legal guardian with guardianship papers attached.
In addition, you may order a certified copy of a birth, death or marriage record online using your credit card through the City's only approved Internet ordering service, VitalChek Network Inc.
To get the father's name added to the birth certificate, an Affidavit of Parentage must be completed with the Office of the State Registrar (517-335-8666). A correction form along with a fee must be submitted.
Application to Correct a Certificate of Birth
Application for a Certified Copy Michigan Birth Record
Application to Name a Father on Certificate of Birth
Affidavit of Parentage Form