Property owners in Dearborn (or their certified contractor) must apply for a permit before work begins on any project requiring a permit, such as building a garage, deck or shed; erecting a fence or pool; or installing a new furnace or hot water heater
The forms on this site are available for download in PDF, which requires Adobe Acrobat Reader to view and print. If you do not have Adobe Acrobat, it's free to download and install.
Are you doing your own work or has your contractor asked you to obtain a permit?
If so, you should be aware of the following:
- If you have a contractor, he/she may be attempting to absolve him/herself from liability and responsibility for the quality and workmanship of the work performed.
- Your contractor may not be licensed.
- It is not cheaper for a homeowner to obtain a permit.
- The time frame for processing permit applications is the same for homeowners and contractors.
- You will be held to the same standards and same inspection schedule as a contractor.
- The City of Dearborn will not be able to help you resolve any disputes or problems you have with your contractor or with the work he/she performs.
- You will be responsible for correcting any deficiencies in the work performed.