Household hazardous materials are any products that pose a risk to human health and/or safety to the environment. Some examples of household hazardous materials include paints, stains, floor care items, furniture polish, bathroom cleaners, lawn and garden chemicals, pesticides, turpentine, shellac, batteries, transmission fluid, used motor oil, some electronics and poisons
Never set household hazardous material at the curb.
Disposal of needles/sharps: For disposal of medical waste, such as sharps/needles, syringes, lancets, and other sharp objects, use a hard plastic container with a tightly secured lid. Laundry detergent bottles work well. Place the tightly secured plastic container in your trash receptacle, not in your recycle bin.
Wayne County periodically hosts Household Hazardous Waste Disposal events at locations throughout the county. These events are free to Wayne County residents for household waste. (Commerical and Industrical waste items not accepted.)
2018 Household Hazardous Waste Collection Events:
Saturday, June 9, 2018 - 8 a.m. - 2 p.m.
Henry Ford College
5101 Evergreen Road, Dearborn
June Event Flyer
Saturday, August 11, 2018 - 8 a.m. - 2 p.m.
Westland Shopping Center
Enter off Nankin Blvd. from Central City Parkway (Lot behind JCP store)
August Event Flyer
Saturday, November 3, 2018 - 8 a.m. - 2 p.m.
Wayne County Community College District - Downriver Campus
21000 Northline Road, Taylor
November Event Flyer
Examples of acceptable Items include:
- Household paints, stains, dyes
- Floor wax, floor care roducts, carpet cleaner
- Furniture polish, bathroom cleaners, stain removers, solvents
- Pharmaceutical Waste (NON-CONTROLLED SUBSTANCES ONLY)
- Nail polish, glue
- Fertilizer, lawn and garden chemicals, pesticides
- Antifreeze, motor oil, gasoline, propane tanks
- Automotive batteries and dry cell batteries, fluorescent bulbs (all types)
- Fire extinguishers, smoke detectors
- Mercury thermometers, thermostats and elemental mercury
- Computer CPU’s, monitors, printers, scanners, keyboards, mice
- Cell phones, fax machines, copiers, and televisions
- CRT monitors and televisions
For more information regarding household hazardous waste disposal and additional drop-off dates and locations, contact the Wayne County Department of Environment, Resource Recovery Coordinator at 734-326-3936 or visit this link:
Wayne County HHW Program